Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Know, I Know!

Our Hotel Room
Yes I am still alive! We've been incredibly busy lately and tonight is the first time I've been able to "force" myself to sit down and write....so....where to start. I think I shall start with our 6 year anniversary...that's right...6 wonderful years!! I have known Mark for just about all of my life and I have always...ALWAYS...had a crush on him. I never dreamed that we would get married, have a beautiful child and such a beautiful life together. I love that man with all that I am. He is a wonderful friend, husband and father. I couldn't ask for more! To celebrate our anniversary, we headed off to New Orleans on Saturday June 7th. We stopped for lunch at Middendorf's and had some wonderful fried catfish and softshell crab...that place brings back so many wonderful memories from my childhood. See, my grandparents lived to eat. It was nothing for them to come down to my parent's house, that trip alone took them an hour, and then drive us all the way to Middendorf's to eat lunch on a Saturday...that's almost 2 and a half more hours. The restaurant hasn't changed a bit over the years that I have been going there and the food is still every bit as delicious!! We finished our lunch and headed on into the big city. We stayed at the JW Marriott which comes highly recommended by me. They were super nice and the room was beautiful. We ate dinner that night at Acme Oyster House which is another one of my favorites! I had the oh so delicious chargrilled oysters!! YUMMY!! We spent the rest of the evening wandering Bourbon Street and ducking in and out of all of the local dives. Our drinking of adult beverages ended when we went to the bar in Razoo and ordered one Bud Light and a double Malibu and Diet Coke...the bartender says "$17.50"... I thought Mark was going to pass out!! I tried to tell him that the double that I ordered was like $12 or $13 and his beer was $5! Next time we think we'll bring our own cooler on wheels and drink out of that! Only problem is that my White Russian daiquiris won't keep in a cooler!
We woke on Sunday and exchanged our anniversary cards before heading off to eat beignets for breakfast. We wandered the French Market for some souvenirs and headed out of town at about 1 p.m. It was a wonderful weekend! It doesn't hurt that I absolutely LOVE New Orleans!! I don't know why I'm fascinated by the people in New Orleans (locals, not tourists). I find myself looking at people and wondering what their story is, how did they end up there...what was it like to grow up in New Orleans...what did you do during Katrina...did you stay, did you leave...did you have to suffer with the masses waiting for rescue? Most people would never want to live there but I would love it....I think.



2 comments:

The Family Bond said...

Glad you had a great time in NO. It's so sweet to read your words of admiration for your husband. May God bless you with many more years.

Kellye said...

I'm glad the trip to NOLA was a good one! Happy anniversary!